Perfect decks every time
Virginia deck building can be a lot of fun, and very rewarding. You may already know that decks are trending. Homeowners are building them and renovating them more than ever. But do you also know these three amazing facts about decks?
- Smart investment: Your home is your biggest investment. It’s an even better investment if you add a deck. Experts say you can realize a 100 percent return on your investment. Virginia Home Buyers these days want houses with decks.
There are practical reasons: Decks expand a home’s living space. Plus, they give you countless ways to relax and have fun.
- Party central: Think of the possibilities for year-round fun on your deck with family and friends. On New Year’s Eve, you and your guests can gather on your deck and celebrate the stroke of midnight with champagne. On July 4, you can sip iced tea and grill hotdogs.
A built-in hot tub adds opportunities for fun and relaxation. On Halloween, you can organize a pumpkin-carving contest, with Jack-o-lanterns lined up around your deck.
- Decking materials galore: Consumers have more choices than ever these days when it comes to choosing material to build their decks. Some decking materials are better suited to warm climates, and others are perfect for withstanding snow and ice. You have a wide selection of hardwoods from which to choose, from California redwood to exotic woods, or you can build your deck with composite material like Trex Transcend which is not only environmentally friendly – but also as beautiful as many hardwoods.
There is also a choice over fastener types. There are many types of fasteners available including the traditional brass and stainless steel screws, as well as the new fastening systems and hidden fasteners that keep the fasteners out of sight.
So, whether you’re building a deck or renovating one, you can be sure you’re participating in an amazing and rewarding trend.
So when you start planning your deck building project, there are several things to keep in mind, including the precursor steps to the build of the deck.
The Zoning Approval
A zoning approval is required before starting a use, erecting a structure or building, obtaining building permits, or obtaining certificates of use and occupancy. These are handled and obtained by Holloway Company when starting a decking project of any size within Virginia.
Building Plan Approval and Requirements
The building regulations apply to most building work, therefore it is important to know when approval is needed.
The responsibility for checking the Building Regulations have been met falls to Building Control Bodies (BCBs) – either from the Local Authority or the private sector as an Approved Inspector. The person carrying out the work has the choice of where to get approval for the building work.
How to get approval depends on whether a Local Authority Building Control or Approved Inspector Building Control service is being used.
The other steps which we handle are:
- Building Permit Issuance
- Public Utility Requirements
- Inspection Steps and Procedures
Get a FREE Quote and Design today. Want something more exotic or want to see more options for your decking project? Check out our Curved Deck and Under Deck Room page to learn more about these options.